Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Walls Must Fall


Transparency. 

It is the first ingredient for confession.  You will never win at life if you play with a poker face.  

Linus, the life coach, taught me that much.  

Come to the wall.  

Whatever wall blocks you from moving forward.  


The wall has pent up all my dreams.  

I hear them, there, bantering on the other side.  

So I come to the wall.  I shout to the wall.  I say to the wall, "Hey, I'm here. I'm not hiding anymore.  Hey, I'm here: vulnerable, powerless, angry.  Hey, did you hear me?  I'm calling you out, wall.  I'm not leaving.  I'm not running. I hate this wall.  I want it down."  

I am marking my territory.  My shouts provide echo-location for the source of my angst.  Everyone will know: that I have a wall, that I hate this wall, that I cannot break it down.  

You can't embarrass a wall down.  

You can't harass a wall to crumbling.  

I can be honest.  
       I can be transparent.  
                I can find the strength that is hidden in weakness. 

My confession, made public, becomes our confession.  

Nehemiah, the Hebrew governor-prophet, profoundly proclaimed to the persecuted people rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem:




One voice that calls many.  

I am one voice.  
I am many voices.  

Accountability is fraternity.  

In numbers...numbers that rally to my cry...numbers that march beside a wall...numbers that shout with shared frustration at a thing that will not move...that keeps me...keeps us...from the grand things waiting on the other side...

When masses march 
                        and shout 
                                  walls fall.  

Such movements begin
                    and only begin
with a face 
       easily read 
by others 
       standing by
the same wall.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is the blog that I needed to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete